Your 4 or 6 year “hitch” with the USMC is finally coming to an end and you are faced with the decision of whether or not you should reenlist. And while some may emphatically answer in the negative, the prudent service person will deliberate over this very important question carefully before reaching a decision. After all, it is a decision that could be as life-changing as the one you made when you enlisted.
- The economy: While the economy is booming currently, wages are actually down in the civilian sector. Many people still have to work two jobs in order to make ends meet. The military offers great job security and most of your living expenses are already paid for.
- Reenlistment incentives: The Marine Corps is currently spending $136 million in reenlistment bonuses and other incentives to retain talented and skilled soldiers. The USMC realizes that achieving retention goals is extremely vital for the future of our country and for the individual who is considering reenlisting.
- Pension: The private sector is quickly doing away with pensions. The military is not. The choice to reenlist can be a sound one for your family’s long term financial goals. Every day that you remain in the services you are building towards that future.
- Camaraderie: All other reasons and incentives aside, there is a sense of fellowship that exist in the services that is stronger than any other part of society. Men and women in the services bond due to the uniqueness of their shared experience.
- Switching career fields: In order to explore a different career field once you leave the military you may have to essentially start all over again. This can involve going back to school or getting some other kind of training. In the armed services it is much easier to transition between specialties than it is in the civilian world.
So, when it comes to deciding whether or not to reenlist the old saying “Act in haste; repent in leisure” applies. We realize that the choice to reenlist is not for everyone. However, we believe that the USMC is a more than worthy organization to back all the way. There are opportunities abound, an amazing support system and training in some unique specialties. We believe you will be proud of your decision to stay with this proud organization that helps defend the bastion of freedom. Whether you decide to reenlist or not, make sure to take a look at our USMC store for US marine gifts this season and every season.