Father’s day is right around the corner and although it is not celebrated with the same enthusiasm by some, we here at eMarine PX value the importance of fathers. They are the most important male figure in many of our lives and are one of the cornerstones of the family unit. They do so much for us that it is only fitting that we honor them in some way at least once a year. We especially honor Dads who are on active duty as they have elected to be apart from their families to protect and serve our country. However, as important as this day is, we would wager that many people are in the dark about some basic facts surrounding this holiday. Here are some interesting facts about the Father’s Day.
- Father’s Day was started by a woman: Sonora Smart Dodd is believed to have founded Father’s Day in Spoke Washington after hearing a sermon at her church that celebrated Mother’s Day. Her father was Civil War veteran William Jackson Smart who raised Ms. Dodd without a wife.
- Father’s Day is the fourth-biggest day for sending greeting cards: The other big holidays for greeting cards are Christmas, Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day.
- A father’s death inspired the invention of the drinking fountain: The drinking fountain was invented in 1912 by a man whose father succumbed to typhoid fever after drinking from a contaminated public water supply. The man – Halsey Taylor – sought to both honor his father and keep the public safe.
- The First Father’s Day: The first father’s day was celebrated in July 5, 1908, at a West Virginia church. The gathering was specifically designed to commemorate 362 men who had died in an explosion at a local mine.
- Third Sunday in June: The effort to recognize Father’s Day has been hard fought. For 60 years it was not officially recognized as a US holiday. Eventually, President Lyndon B. Johnson declared the third Sunday in June as Father’s Day. It was made a permanent holiday by his successor President Richard Nixon in 1972.
If you are contemplating what to get your active duty or retired dad, you should consider one of the many fine products from our eagle globe and anchor store. We have medals, clothing, decals, USMC novelties and gifts as well as other items that will demonstrate your dad’s pride in our nation.