What does service in this nation’s armed forces prepare one to do in civilian life? This is something that civilians who have never served sometimes wonder. Well, the answer is quite simple really – anything and everything. This is proven every day by veteran’s who excel in all walks of civilian life. It is especially demonstrated by veteran’s who have leveraged the leadership skills that they learned in the armed forces into management roles in the business world. It might surprise some of our reader’s to learn the names of some of these prominent leaders and the companies they started or now control. Among some companies you know that were founded by veterans are:
· RE/MAX: This real-estate giant was cofounded by Air Force veteran Dave Liniger. Liniger served in the Air Force during the Vietnam War and says of his service that it taught him “self-discipline and a sense of responsibility.”
· FedEx: FedEx was founded by Marine Corps veteran, Fred Smith. Currently FedEx is the 10th-largest private employer in the United States.
· Wal-Mart: The world’s largest company was founded by a former Army intelligence officer named Sam Walton. Walton achieved the rank of captain. His brother Bud was a bomber pilot for the Navy in the Pacific.
- GoDaddy: This company, which registers the overwhelming majority of web domains, was founded by Marine Veteran Bob Parsons. Parsons served in Vietnam and earned a Combat Action Ribbon, the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry and the Purple Heart. He has written on his site that he would not be where he is today without the Marine Corps.
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car Company: Headquarted in Clayton, Missouri, this rental car giant was founded by Jack Taylor, a decorated Navy pilot who served in WWII.
All these men have gone on to found or cofound successful businesses from lives that begin with service to the nation. All have been proud members of the country’s armed forces and would not be where they are without those years of service and the skills that the military instilled in them. All run their companies with that same pride. We too are proud members of Disabled American Veterans, Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Marines Corps League. Show your pride by displaying our USMC hats and other merchandise from our eagle globe and anchor store.