The utility cover was first issued in World War II, with the Herringbone Twill utility uniform issued in 1943. It was based on a US Army field cap design and a railroad engineer cap. World War II Marines nicknamed it the raider cap from its use by the Marine Raiders. It was made from herringbone twill until 1959, when the material changed to cotton sateen.
It is currently issued in desert and woodland MARPAT camouflage patterns, though older versions came in M81 woodland, six-color desert, three-color desert camouflage patterns and olive drab. All versions except those worn with the Navy Working Uniform, or those worn by Navy Seabees and Beachmasters, have the Marine Corps' Eagle, Globe, and Anchor (EGA) insignia on the front above the bill, the Navy versions having the wearer's rank insignia instead. When the USMC used the BDU from the 1980s to the early 2000s, the EGA was ironed-on via a heat-transfer decal, though now it is embroidered on the MCCUU. Shop our collection today!